Friday, July 11, 2008

TV coverage bonanza

While the group goes out to eat for dinner, I stay in the hotel to work on the blog and not tempt fate with my stomach uneasiness. The group reports when they return that the TVM network broadcast – to Madagascar and all of Africa – included a news story with edited interviews from this morning in the early evening, and later, Teen Talk started with the 4-minute film about the Madagascar Presidential Scholars Program and then included more edited interviews. On another TV station, MBS, two of our graduates were seen being interviewed. Someone noticed that Dr. Gary McCaleb's name on screen (a TV super is what that's called) was somehow lost in translation and mine appeared in its place. McCaleb laughed afterward that when he's in the U.S. he's known as Gary McCaleb, but when traveling in Madagascar, he goes by Ron Hadfield. I'm sure I looked more distinguished as the vice president of the university, former mayor of Abilene and inductee to the ACU Sports Hall of Fame, but I do want my hair back when he's through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ron...
Continuing to enjoy your detailing of the trip. It's the first thing I look for each time I get on the computer!
I thought you would like to know that I received my summer 2008 ACU Today in the mail yesterday. I can't tell you how strange it felt to receive one that I not only had no idea what would be on the cover, but also did not know already what was on most of the inside pages. First time for that in about 15 years. As usual, you did a great job!

Peggy